During my years of some occasional traveling I learned a thing or two about what you should not do while in mountains. Yes, you get some stories to tell, but, no, it is not always worth it. My life always takes me to cold places for some reason. This one goes for those who enjoy the North of our planet.
- Do not forget your gloves.
Even though it seems like it is warm outside and you don’t see a reason for bringing gloves- take them with you. Really. Weather conditions in mountains can be surprising and change rapidly. It may be very sunny when you start your hike, but soon get very chilly when you are getting closer to the top. In the moment when you have made a snowman out of yourself, you will remember my words. Especially when you are going on a long hike and it might be even snowing on the top of the mountain. Don’t let the cold ruin the view you are about to experience.
- 2. Do not forget to wear a t-shirt under your sweater. As I said, it may be snowing on the top of the mountain, but- surprise, surprise- it could also be very sunny. So do not make a mistake by wearing only warm clothes. Remember to put on your t-shirt as well. It might be very helpful and you would be very thankful to yourself in case it is a hot day up there. Just like the cold could distract you from enjoying the beauty, also being hot could. This is in case you are not ready to get naked.
- 3. Do not take a shortcut.
Yes. Do not. Just don’t. Even if it seems like the shortcut is going to take you to the place you are headed towards, it could also make you get lost. Some of the roads end in many crossroads and some of them even end in the middle of nowhere. Trust me, I learned it the hard way. If you are alone and don’t know the place- just keep on the main track! Otherwise you are gonna have to wander around for hours trying to find the way back. Walking from one mountain top to another and not finding the right path.
- 4. Do not forget your phone.
A phone is an essential item these days, but sometimes we just want to forget it in our car, because we have come to enjoy the nature, not the technologies we use every day. But still, I must say it again, if you do not now the place, there is a possibility to get lost. A phone can save you from wandering in the mountains for 3 hours in the dawn. It can be a phone call or even offline maps, but if you do get lost in the mountains, you really wish that you had this little device with you. If your travel with someone, they will thank you too.
- 5. Do not settle for enjoying the view from your car.
Remember that this world is not that small. When you are traveling, you don’t know if you will ever return to the exact same place again. So better enjoy it at its’ best. Don’t just sit in the car. Get out of the car, walk around, enjoy the hike and take loads of pictures, even if you only capture them with your mind. Make every second count. You can enjoy sitting in your car in your home city.
- Cheers to all amateur mountain hikers!
Click to read more articles: